Holy Trinity Lutheran Church began as Zion Lutheran Church, and English Lutheran Church. The first service was held May 29, 1898, in the Swedish Lutheran Church at 16th and Grove Streets. Rev A. J. Reichart officiated. The church was formally organized on January 6, 1899, with 20 charter members, and was supported as a mission congregation by the Chicago synod.
During the summer of 1899, the congregation began worshiping in the Universalist Church at 610 N. 9th Street, and the first resident pastor, Rev. Elmer D.S. Boyer was installed five years later. The congregation incorporated as "English Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Holy Trinity", on June 9, 1904 and purchased land at 10th & Brown Streets for their new church home.
On March 9, 1909, the Universalist Church on 9th Street was purchased and on October 31 of that year, the cornerstone was laid for the new building. The years 1918 to 1925 were times of struggle for the fledgling congregation, battling loss of members and financial difficulty. During this time, two pastors served the congregation, Thaddeus Bowman Epting (1918 - 1922) and Frederick W. Teichman (1922 - 1925). In 1925, Rev. F. B. Heibert was assigned to the congregation and served until 1927.
On July 1, 1928, the newly ordained Rev. Henry C. Stolldorf was installed as pastor, and the membership began growing from 168 to 418. In December 1958, a 5.5 acre site on an orchard-covered hill off 21st Street was purchased, and in November 1959, the home at 1003 N 21st Street was acquired, increasing the site to 7.5 acres. August 26, 1962 saw the groundbreaking and the cornerstone laying for the present building. In 1970, air conditioning was added, and in 1988 the tracker pipe organ and the education wing were completed. Rev. Stolldorf retired in 1971, and was honored with the title of Pastor Emeritus.
In 1971, the Rev. Dr. Jacob H. Hoffman was called to Holy Trinity, and retired in October 2002. Associate pastors serving the congregation included Rev. Victor Nelson (1990 - 1992), Rev. Sandra Hutchens (1992 - 1994), Rev. Mark D. Gibbs (1995 - 2000), Rev. Laura DeWitte Altman served from 2000 - 2004, and Rev. Frederick R. Jordan was appointed as Interim Pastor beginning January 1, 2004 and served until March 31, 2008.
On June 1, 2008, a call was extended to Rev. David M. Doane, and he was installed as pastor on October 12, 2008. In November, 2020, Rev. Doane accepted another call.
In January 2022, Rev. Elizabeth Lee accepted the call to Holy Trinity.
Holy Trinity has been built on rich tradition of worshiping, teaching and learning, outreach and stewardship. We build upon our past, as we eagerly look to the future in God's service.